EGYPT PLANTATION
Page Two

Egypt Plantation Museum is a non-profit study and research museum of Texas History.

1849 HEARD NORTHINGTON HOME


By 1849, Cpt. Heard complete the construction of a fine, one and half story, brick, Georgian Revival Home that still stands today. It contains four fireplaces to warm the parlor, dining room and the two, large downstairs bedrooms. The large central hall provided a cool breezeway while providing a stair made of curly pine to the second floor bedrooms. Originally both the front and rear of the house contained a porch. Today the enclosed, rear, porch has been enlarged to provide access to the kitchen and utility room, while also providing a comfortable "Keeping Room", breakfast room and master bedroom suite for modern use.


As our family grew and married into other families it furnished the home with what has now become antiquities befitting the Empire Style period of the home in more formal rooms. Other pieces include player pianos, music boxes and a sixteen foot Brunswick Bar representing our family's love of entertainment. Throughout the house are exhibits from our personal collection of interesting things of days gone by both from the "ranch" and the area.



For Group Tour Information Contact:
George H. Northington, IV., "Bud"
Mary Margaret Sampson
979-677-3232 ~ 979-533-0096 egypt@wcnet.net

Contact
Tours

1900 EGYPT DEPOT



The "Egypt Depot" was constructed in 1900 when G.H. Northington and Green C. Duncan conveyed property and provided funds to build a Depot in Egypt for the shipment of general store goods and farm products into and out of their community. At that time Santa Fe Railroad Company was purchasing the rail line from Cane Belt Railroad. The original 1893 rail line from Eagle Lake to what was known as the Cane Belt Railroad Company's "Sugar Line". The Depot was closed in the late 1950's after serving to transport both freight and passengers.
Picture of Interior Waiting Room with Ticket Door. Today, the wood frame building remains virtually the same as it was - minus the loading docks and rail line. Even the interior retains the original interior finishes in the passenger waiting areas including the ticket door to the office and baggage loading area.



The Egypt Museum has been open since 1950's at the Northington's General Store in Egypt. However, it was in the 1950's when the Santa Fe Railroad Company ceased operating the Egypt Depot on FM 102. That same year the late George Heard Northington Jr. rescued the building for a Ranch Office and moved it one quarter mile to the grounds of the historic 1848 Heard Northington home on the 1830's Egypt Plantation in Egypt, Texas. Family members and neighbors continued to add to the collection.

The Collection of Artifacts Include:

Relics from the Heard, Northington, Hudgins and Duncan families of Egypt and Hungerford.

Ranching heritage and plantation life is evident in the collection of tools, saddles, tin bath tubs, photographs of prize winning horses and cattle and good times spent on trail rides for the Houston Fat Stock Show.

Artifacts from the Northington General Store in Egypt tell of the wealth of merchandise available to their customers evidenced by the catalogue, dolls, house wares and clothing.

Hunting lore from days gone by to more recent times are all part of the museum exhibits.

The not for profit Egypt Plantation Museum, Inc. was established by the Northington family in 1990, for the purpose of preserving and enhancing the regional cultural heritage of Egypt Plantation through education and research.

For Information about Tours, Research & Living History Programs and
Tax Deductable Donations
Contact:
Anita and son, George H. Northington, IV. "Bud"
979-677-3232 979-677-3562 egypt@wcnet.net

Contact Us
Tour Information

 

 




Kitchen and Dining Area


Antique Barn Exhibit


Depot

 

 
 
 
Vendor Product Pictures / History / Trade Days / Antique Mall / Plantation
Event Facilities / Saloon / Activities / Calendar / Links / Other / Contact Us / Email
 
 
© EgyptTexas.org, 2001 - 2002